Monday 10 August 2009

My Life

Well I am returning to my blogasphere hoping to produce something of interest. I was told by one eminent member of the twitter fraternity blog as if you were talking to a friend.
OK you dear friend, whoever you are,are about to get an ear bashing...some of you may know I moved to Herne Bay last December..to prepare for retirement...yeah I know the jokes.
I live a constant battle to achieve a work life balance..that's not easy when my office is almost 70 miles from home. I know its my choice and most of the time its OK. Every now and then the fates conspire to make my journey a misery as they did on a recent Friday when three separate incidents turned my journey into a nightmare.

Still enough of that normally to the accompaniment of Classic FM or Test Match Special my journey is a breeze.

So what of Herne Bay? Last Saturday was our carnival...our first experience of it. The local paper urged us to support the event. With the exception of Whitstable none of the coastal towns of North Kent now have a carnival..apathy or lack of interest has caused their demise.

Last year was a wash out as was this year for Whitstable. But Saturday brought brilliant sunshine and huge crowds and I do not exagerate, four and five deep along the length of Marine Parade and the High Street.

They were treated to a royal display....carnival queens and princesses from Herne Bay, Whitstable, Sittingbourne, Margate, Dover, and Ashford (hope I didn't miss any). In addition there were bands, street dancers, cheer leaders,fancy dressers and floats from local businesses and societies

All in all it took a full hour to pass by and was a credit to all who were involved both participants and organisers.


Returning home I mused on how the test match was progressing...cricket on five was on and I watched in awe as Stuart Clark despatched the England bowling all over Leeds. At this point dear friend I didn't know how England had fared in their second innings. So I watched in horror as one by one the England batsmen were sent back to the pavilion in disgrace. Six down at close of play all recognised "batsmen" gone. Needless to say I did not trouble myself to follow the last rites of an innings defeat on Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment